The Gracia de Resende Theatre
The Garcia de Resende Theatre opened to the public on the 1st of June 1892, after a long process that began on the 11th of April 1881 (the date when work started). It was managed during the initial phase by the owner José Maria Ramalho Dinis Perdigão.
It is one of the most representative "Italianate theatres" that exist in Portugal (the others are the Teatro de S. Carlos, the Coliseu in Lisbon) and it can perfectly well feature among the best European theatres, such as, for example, La Scala in Milan.
The death of Dinis Perdigão interrupted the work, which started again for a brief period in 1886. In 1888, Dr. Francisco Eduardo Barahona Fragoso, who had married the Perdigão widow in the meantime, showed himself willing to invest in the conclusion of the project, which was directed by an engineer from Évora, Adriano de A. S. Monteiro.